2014

2014

Thursday, January 9, 2014

New Years Resolutions

I don't really like New Years. I don't know why but it just makes me feel blah,  kind of bummed out or maybe a better way to describe is "let down". . Maybe it's because I have never done anything super fun to ring in the New Year. Or maybe it's because I don't like getting older. Or maybe it's because I don't like New Years Resolutions. But what ever the reason may be, I just know that I don't like New Years and I never make resolutions...until this year.

This year was typical of all the others, just a quiet night at home with my family to bring in the New Year. We allowed the kids to stay up late (they wanted to try to stay awake to watch the ball drop) and to light some fire crackers in the back yard. And New Years day was just as ordinary as any other...nothing special to write about or resolutions to record and commit to. But after a few days I realized that I needed to do something to help me stay accountable to my commitment to read my Bible. So on January 4th I made the commitment to read through the entire Bible in 90 days! Yikes! That's a lot of reading each day!! I am using the Bible App on my phone and each day I get a reminder that includes the day, date and the book/chapters that I need to read. It's great because I can "check" it off when I finish each chapter. After 5 days, I will confess that I have fallen behind in my reading but I will catch up and finish in the 90 days. I love having a goal, a plan to meet the goal and seeing the daily progress (checking each chapter off on my phone app). I'm excited to see what God will reveal to me during this 90 day journey in His word.

I still want to figure out a way to be excited about New Years. Maybe I can find a fun way to ring in the New Year, like go to New York City and watch the ball drop in Times Square? Or attend a party where I can get all dressed up? Or  maybe just have some family and friends over for a fun game night!  What ever way you ring in the New Year and what ever your resolutions may be, I hope that you make time to study God's word and grow more in His knowledge and grace this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment